Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Day in the Park

 Picture
With all of my spare time, I've decided to reassess where I'm at. Where best to do that than laying on the grass in the park?

For the next month or so I'm still living in Dublin, so there are no better parks than St. Stephen's Green and Phoenix Park - the largest enclosed park in Europe (so I'm told).
Perhaps tomorrow I'll visit Merrion Square...

BUT while laying there, I realised that I was catching up on something
that I'd been lacking quite a lot of...

Any guesses?

Vitamin D.

Pretty common over here in Ireland...

It turns out that it's actually EVEN MORE important than we already thought.
Not only is it highly important for the health of bones, but according to Mercola.com, it's involved in the expression of over 2000 genes and EVERY CELL in the body has receptors for Vitamin D.
It's involved in countless complex processes occurring in your body right now, and has also been shown to actually play a role in cancer prevention (although we also know the risks of over-exposure) - and all you need for your daily intake?

About 15 minutes of bright sunlight.

Now, that all sounds well and good - go sit in a park for your vitamin intake...
But I also lived in Melbourne, Australia... in the winter months, I don't think I'll be sitting anywhere outside... and I've noticed that no-one else is either...

So in these colder months where in all likelihood, most Melbournians are deficient in this important Vitamin, what to do?
Well, the following foods contain Vitamin D:

  • Fatty Fish
  • Egg
  • Beef Liver
  • Fish Liver oils
  • Mushrooms
Of all of these options, personally I prefer fish and mushrooms...

There are always supplements to boost your intake over winter too.

The final option is sun-tan beds - there is a lot of bad press about tanning booths, it's an option that I personally won't use, but as with everything, look into it, do your research and make an informed choice.

Ah, a day in the park. My excuse? I did it for my health!
And you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment